[RC] Horse water thawed w/out electric - Chrystal Woodhouse

A couple of years ago this was a topic of conversation on RC, someone mentioned digging a 5 ft hole underneath the water trough in order to keep it from freezing over. Before I go digging an enormous hole can anyone tell me if they have tried this and if it works in temp's that go down to -30???
Any other ideas of how to keep horse water  .......well water not ice, without electricity in the winter??????

Thanks
Chrystal :-)
P.,S if you are from the south do not bother telling me what works for you,it won't  work up here,  I know you THINK you know what winter is 'cause hey! your water buckets had a layer of ice on them..............................once . :-) ;-) :-)if you can leave your hoses outside after October or have access to water taps in the winter that work without heating tape or do not know what a water hydrant is .....................you are too far south to help!!!!  :-) lol