Re: [RC] pre-ride - Michelle Aquilino

It always disappoints me when I run into discourteous riders.  That's one of the things that initiated my interest in this sport in the first place (I didn't know anyone who does it, just found out about it and volunteered at a ride to see what it was about), that it's all about the safety of the horse, and everyone helping each other out.  Let's follow Sheila's advice, and make sure the sport stays that way =)  It is even fairly common (it seems) for people to leave the water spot if they see a horse approaching (so they don't have to thus wait).  I'm never in a place where people who are concerned about placing should be, so there's really no excuse for trying to avoid any delay =P

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:13 PM, SHEILA A WALSH <tondi313@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This whole topic brings up the importance of all of us taking the time to be mindful of other riders.  When my mare is so excited about the start of a ride, I ask riders walking by to stand still so I can get on; and I do the same.  What is 30 seconds going to do to the finish time?  Since I have done this with my new ride, she gets better and better at the start of each ride and we still top ten.  I want to go out there and have a great day, not a wreck; and I don't want anyone else to have a wreck, either.

Same with watering during a ride, if you are joined by other riders, don't leave them without checking, first.  I ask riders to give my horse a minute to drink or she won't if they leave her and vice versa.

It's just common sense and courtesy.

Thanks,
Sheila

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:04:10 -0500
Subject: [RC] re: lunging pre-ride
From: michelle.antoinette@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Before Sandy's response, I was all ready to start my response with stating that I know I still have some work to do with my horse listening on the ground (though I still think this is true, ha ha).  She CAN listen, she just knows she doesn't have to the majority of the time, ha ha.  She's really smart though, and if I ask for something from her, and make it clear it IS necessary, she does very well ;-)  But anyway, on my horse's most "Arab" days (she's only 1/2 Arab), I ALWAYS would prefer to be on her than on the ground, lol.  But that's because I feel entirely safe on her, and it seems much more likely that she could accidentally hurt me when I'm on the ground.  I don't think I'd lunge her at a ride unless I wanted to stand in the middle of a big swirling dust bowl, lol.  Yeah, tack up, and get on, that's usually my routine ;-)
____________

From: Sandy Adams <sandydsa@xxxxxxx>
an old cowboy ( I mean the kind that shoots the cougar and hangs it in
his shower very near the loaf of home made bread behind the toilet)
told me once that you are almost ALWAYS safer on a horse than off. Do
far, he has been right in my experience. I do believe it assumes a
horse who is trained to ride...VBG
--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"