[RC] re: lunging pre-ride - Michelle Aquilino

Before Sandy's response, I was all ready to start my response with stating that I know I still have some work to do with my horse listening on the ground (though I still think this is true, ha ha).  She CAN listen, she just knows she doesn't have to the majority of the time, ha ha.  She's really smart though, and if I ask for something from her, and make it clear it IS necessary, she does very well ;-)  But anyway, on my horse's most "Arab" days (she's only 1/2 Arab), I ALWAYS would prefer to be on her than on the ground, lol.  But that's because I feel entirely safe on her, and it seems much more likely that she could accidentally hurt me when I'm on the ground.  I don't think I'd lunge her at a ride unless I wanted to stand in the middle of a big swirling dust bowl, lol.  Yeah, tack up, and get on, that's usually my routine ;-)
____________

From: Sandy Adams <sandydsa@xxxxxxx>

an old cowboy ( I mean the kind that shoots the cougar and hangs it in
his shower very near the loaf of home made bread behind the toilet)
told me once that you are almost ALWAYS safer on a horse than off. Do
far, he has been right in my experience. I do believe it assumes a
horse who is trained to ride...VBG
--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"