Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:09:09 -0800
Subject: Re: [RC] lunging pre ride
From: ctsinatra@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With my old horse, I would do some ground work to get him thinking about me if he was kind of checked out before getting on.  We didn't need to do it every ride, but some rides taking the time to walk him by hand and work on things like sidepassing, backing up, yielding his hindquarters, stopping and starting and STAYING with me as I was walking on a loose lead, etc.  All things to help him focus on me and pay attention to what I was asking, before I ever put my foot in the stirrup.  Sometimes I might send him out to the end of the lead line for a circle or two and some changes of direction, but never really "lunged" him before a ride.  More just slow focusing type work.  If they're hyper or not paying attention, I'm somewhat of a wuss and would rather do this stuff while my feet are still firmly on the ground.  =)

My new boy is 4 and hasn't been to a ride yet.  I've found with him, lunging him around for a while before I mount up when we're not riding at home to be very beneficial.  He seems to need to get breathing a bit and stretch his legs for a while before he's ready to settle down and pay attention.  Helps to get the initial "ya-yas" out and get the oxygen flowing to his brain.  I'll be phasing this out as we progress with his training, eventually I imagine he'll be like my horse above.

--
~ Crysta

"Those of us who finish near the back, make the rest of you look good."