Re: [RC] right vehicle for towing - Truman Prevatt

Faustina Duffy wrote:

My new truck was it's last owner's commuter vehicle. Once I moved and could no longer find veggie oil for my old Greasel (I still love that truck, but SIGH!), I wanted something I could haul the whole family in (hubby was NOT happy when crammed into the club cab seat of the ol' Ford).
After a bit of shopping, I found an '05 Dodge 3500 4 door. Duals and all, going at a price I could swing. During the test drive, I asked the man how it did pulling a trailer. He replied that he'd only done that with it once...puzzled, I asked him why he bought this truck, if it wasn't to tow with. He flipped over to the little MPG read out and said "Where else do I get this kind of room at 25 MPG?" My jaw dropped, and I suspected a fake, but a little research showed me that it DOES (and now, personal experience backs it up). My little ol' 6 cylinder 1 ton has a GREAT 6 speed manual tranny, OOODLES of torque, and pulls my 2 horse gooseneck with (small) weekender type set up at 20 MPG if I keep it under 68 mph. Can't imagine what I'd get if I did put a power chip in it...
Got to be careful with the chips especially if towing. The chips tend to change the mixture to get more power and hence increase the exhaust gas temperature. That can do all sorts of damage to the engine.

I saw a guy who was bragging about his Ford Powerstroke with the new chip. He was showing me "under the hood." When I pointed to his warped turbo housing - he just about fell over. He was pulling a decent load - not that big really - but the chip had resulted in an unacceptable high EGT. A high EGT can turn a turbo into toast.

Truman

Not as cheap as a Greasel for those who can get oil <wink!>, but since the supply of that is all spoken for down here, this works pretty nice!
Any restaurant owners want a used but sturdy Greasel?
Lucky

--

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken