Re: [RC] lunging pre-ride - Sandy Adams

I find lunging at rides to be annoying and even hazardous since a ridecamp is not a really suitable place to send a horse round and round in circles. Trying to walk one's horse around a horse who is flying around in a circle is tough sometimes, and the dust created is annoying at best. Having been next to someone at a ride a few years ago who INSISTED on lunging instead or riding the day before, I would NEVER recommend it for several reasons:
it is rude to one's neighbors
unless well schooled in the effort, it can be hazardous
a horse who "needs" to be lunged before riding perhaps is not ready for such an event

I have tended to stay away from horses who "need" to be lunged before riding; had a couple way back when, and I thought that it is a waste of time in that case. For training purposes it is invaluable; but a public event is no place to train.

All of that said, if there is an issue with a horse at a ride, and the rider can FIND somewhere out of the way to do it, lunging done right can be a non-factor; but that should be the exception, not a habit - a habit tells me that the horse is really not suited to either the sport or public exposure. While bugs have to be worked out at a ride early on, a bad actor who continues to be a bad actor for a long while should stay home. I for one wouldn't take a horse to a ride knowing that I had to lunge before I mount; goes for going to a show too.