[RC] lunging pre-ride - sherman

Title: Message
I don't lounge before riding, even with my energetic horses, that's all of them. Everything I do while getting them ready for the ride seems to prepare them for listening to me. Especially when I carry a couple Manna Pro Apple Wafers in my pocket or waist pack. Funny how they can smell those (:>) I've finally even gotten Sonny to stand still while I mount, not that he'd take off, but he does have a problem with wiggly feet...no so when he smells those wafers in my pocket. I do sometimes make them do thinking work as soon as I mount... starting with a simple "give" to the reins, backing, side passing, turning on forehand and hind, anything to engage their brain and open up the lines of communication.

Kathy

greetings listers.. newbie question alert :)

just wondering what folks think/do about lunging pre-ride. Whilst

I've had my gazi over a year.. i 've just recently started lunging

him.. not so much to use energy, but so he's generally more

responsive and listening .

just inquiring as to what's worked for y'all

thanx

cid and gazi