Re: [RC] Equestrian culture may be fading into the sunset-California - Kathy Mayeda

I live in the SF Bay Area and there is a continual demand for housing
in the higher cost brackets.  It's the lower cost houses that are
having problems because of the lending and qualification issues, not
because the people aren't here to buy.  We have wave after wave of
immigration here.  I'm a rarity in that I was born here - most people
have moved here from elsewhere.  Building is slowing down a bit, but
the stuff they are building now were funded way before this recession.

On the bright side of the equation, the wealth in the Bay Area had
funded several Open Space Preserve Districts that are continually
acquiring private lands and converting them to public use.  We have
some really spectacular areas to ride in with fantastic views of SF
Bay, the Pacific Ocean, the Sierras, and of course, Silicon Valley. We
had a couple of great parks open up in Santa Clara County in the past
few years, and were able to preview a couple of additions that should
open up some time in the near future.  It is indeed harder to find
good places to board your horse, but we do have some great trails that
are being kept for everyone's use.   Unfortunately sometimes that
means fighting with mountain bicyclists who want access to soft
footing single track trails with blind corners too.

I don't know 1st hand about Los Angeles except that are all in denial
that we actually belong to the same state.

K.