Re: [RC] Riding with/without Contact - Elizabeth Walker

I will agree with Jen - neither way is right or wrong.  If your preference is
to ride with a loose rein, then it sounds as if this might not be the horse for
you.

That said - I generally prefer to ride with both reins, and **light** contact.
I do not like the style of riding that has 5 pounds of pressure in your hands.
By "light", I mean it feels as if you are going down the trail holding hands.

I will and do modify this, depending on the horse.  Shadow I raised and trailed
from birth.  He was a spooker, and did better with English-style light contact.

Caisson I got when he was 10, and he is very defensive about bit contact.  He
is also very bold on the trail, and *not* a spooker.  So - for him I ride in a
hackamore on trail, and normally with loose reins.  I do sometimes use
"contact" even with the hackamore, with him, however.  He tends to trip, and I
find that riding with light contact, even with a hackamore, is better for when
he trips - he doesn't bang into the bridle as abruptly.

As for dressage instructors - keep looking.  I just took a clinic from a fellow
who studied with the Spanish Riding School.  I took 2 lessons, and my regular
instructor/trainer took one.  In my first lesson, he had me going around on
practically loose reins.  For the other two lessons, he wanted very light
contact, as he wanted Caisson to learn to stretch out his neck during downward
transitions - thereby raising his back and going correctly.  He used some
exercises that made it easy for the horse to figure out what was wanted, rather
that getting into pulling matches with him.
.
On Nov 29, 2009, at 7:12 PM, <steelsidedown@xxxxxxx> <steelsidedown@xxxxxxx>