Re: [RC] Riding with/without Contact - steelsidedown

I've found my personality clashes with the type of horse that needs constant
leg and/or bit contact to continue solidly down the trail.  I've done a couple
50s that way, I'm exhausted and unhappy at the end, it feels like babysitting
an adult to me.  Others enjoy the "security" that the horse is listening to
their every adjustment/command.

I like the type you spend that first year training and then he/she takes the
initiative to use what they've learned and independently trucks it down the
trail.  The less instruction I give the more I enjoy the ride.  Nothing
impresses me more than a trail horse that is aware of the ribbons and makes the
correct turn at a four way intersection, slows himself down for an upcoming
road or bridge crossing, etc. - without me touching his sides or the reins.
Sure there's an "oh my" spook or two, but while staying in forward motion.

I don't think either way is right or wrong, its just your preference.  This is
a hobby and you should enjoy yourself first and foremost.  I hope you find an
instructor you enjoy.  :-)

Jen

---- Val Nicoson <vnicoson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not sure if this will be a good discussion, or if I'll get flamed, or what
-- but I do have some questions in this regard to a horse I'm having
difficulty with so I'm gonna dive on it :-/

I've got a gelding whom I've had difficulty riding but I've managed the best
I can.  To date he has always seemed a bit spooky and we just can't get our
act together well enough for either of us.  I keep wanting to hold on with
one hand on the pommel for that unexpected spook or whatever he throws my
way.  Likely it's also we simply won't make a good team together.

However, I've had others ride him and he seems to be nearly the perfect
gentleman, whether a lady friend or a young man who is currently riding him
for me.  I only recently figured out what they were doing.  This young man
has maintained solid contact with his mouth, putting him on the bit and
collecting him -- all very nice I must say, I'm quite impressed.

So this leads me to ask -- how many LD/endurance riders ride with constant
contact using both hands (english style IMHO) or using a general looser
contact with one handed neck reining (western style IMHO) ??

I tend to use the one handed neck reining and like to maintain as little
contact with the mouth as possible or within reason, always afraid of the
infamous "being in the horses mouth" thing too much.  One mare I'm able to
direct directionally just using a tap of my heels telling her which way
we're gonna turn and/or twisting my body in the direction we're going to
go.   The other mare is learning my heel taps and neck reining and coming
along nicely.  Both are happy with looser contact.

I've taken dressage lessons but haven't found the right instructor.  The one
closest to where I live makes riders heavy handed to where your
shoulders/arms hurt and the horses mouth is strapped shut as well.  Not my
idea of fun or learning a better way to ride.

Thanks for any feedback,
Val