Fwd: [RC] leg wrap survey - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson <cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:24:48 -0800
Subject: Re: [RC] leg wrap survey
To: stephanie teeter <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steph,

Great survey question!  I have often found that leg wrapping might be
over used by some because they don't really know what they are doing.
They have seen others and I think it's one of those things that it is
the 'thing' to do whether it's needed or not.

So, here is my input, based on a number of vets I have worked with at the track:

1.  If there is heat:  Ice and/or linament then use a poultice.  Wrap
for no more than an hour.  And be sure not to wrap too tight. Remove
the wraps to check the swelling and heat.  Should have dissapated.  If
not insure the horse is taking in more water.  Then consult a medical
professional.

2.  If there is no heat or swelling remove the wraps and let the
horse's circulation take care of itself.

3.  Do not wrap if there is no reason.  If there is soreness you can
ice and put something on like Blue Ice or Green Gel (which I
personally use as a standard).  It cools the skin immediately, reduces
soreness, and will help the horse to relax quicker with less
likelihood of residual problems such as colic.

4.  NEVER:  Leave wraps on overnight.  Do not ship a horse in wraps.
It will cause the horse's legs to overheat and they can start kicking
or stricking out causing further injury.

Okay, that is my input.  It is probably more than you asked for LOL!

Take care,
D'Arcy

--
D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx

~Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates
profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. - Tao Te Ching ~