[RC] Trens Tesmen (Translation: Trans Tasman) Part 5 - Jay Randle

It sounds a terrible thing to wish a vet out on someone.Especially when they are
youths.When in the midst of a competition you tend to get into the competing
thing alot.It was a very friendly competition but both sides were hoping for vet
outs.I guess that is the nature of the sport at that level.FEI is not complete
is to win and the Trans Tasman trophy was of great importance to us.Not at the
expense of the horses but a win was what we were chasing.
The strapper call came for the leading rider.The Kiwi youth that had been doing
his best to stay ahead of Tarni.His horse came in looking exhausted but not
lame.They were strapping like crazy on that horse.Tarni came in around 5 mins
after from memory so they held their places around the same the whole leg.Tarni
was dancing on Rios as she crossed the line.Rios looked fantastic and we had
30mins to take our time with him.He pulsed down fine but we had so much time we
took no risks.A rug over him and a walk around saw him pulse down to 52 and we
went in.The Kiwis were still strapping the leader.
Rios still had plenty of life and was keen as ever to push me around and the
trot was spot on and full of energy.CRI no dramas and Tarni was through.What a
relief that was and what a celebration.
The Kiwi horse was still being strapped.It looked weary and they were obviously
having trouble with it.That is the sting in the tail.The young fellow riding the
horse had felt the pressure and pushed maybe a little too much.The horse went to
vet and was 64 and trotted ok.The only problem was that they were 29seconds late
to vet.
A fact we didn't know for some time after.
The second Kiwi youth horse came in looking pretty shabby.Obviously stressed
and the rider was in tears.No one likes to see that.The horse was cramping and
having trouble moving or even standing.She was not to know where Talea was
behind her and had pushed too hard as well.After a very long strapping time the
horse pulsed ok and trotted out to everyones amazement not desperately lame.It
was equally stiff all over so I guess the vets couldn't really vet it out
lame.Unfortunately the horse fell down after leaving the vet ring and was put
straight on fluids.Not a great outcome but the horse recovered well after vet
attention.I was trying to think of a way of explaining that last one without
metioning the treatment but it is the way it happened and I guess part of the
story so there it is.A bit sad but it could happen to any of us.
Talea came in and the horse looked fab.A quick strap and a great trot out and
woohoo she was through.5th place for Talea.Excellent effort from the young
Canberran.So here we were thinking that we were 2 a piece with Ady to come.If we
had another Kiwi in trouble and Ady makes up a place we have the trophy.
We thought for a while that Ady was coming in with one of the Kiwis but it
turns out that we were wrong.We had the wrong bay when they finally came into
sight.One more Kiwi came in and pulsed out.Caused by a front end lameness.So we
were still going with a chance.
The last Kiwi came in ahead of Ady and looked tired but not lame as it crossed
the line.This was the grey that wouldn't go out on the last so she did well to
get it around.Ady came in whilst the Kiwis were strapping.
Now the Kiwis strap differently to us.No rugs no walking.In my opinion that is
where the next horse fell down.They took a lifetime strapping that horse in the
cold without a rug and with no walking at all.The horse trotted in sound but
upon the trot out was as lame as they get in the front.It didn't even make it to
the end of the run out.So c'mon Ady if you get through we take the trophy!
I think I said that to Ady which in hindsight wasn't the best thing to add to
the pressure she was already feeling.Sorry Ady
Anita had battled with that big bay all day and had done extremely well to
manage it in the vet ring as it was a difficult horse that towered over her.It
had a kick at a vet and also a cow kick at her jacket while she
ran.Unfortunately for both Anita and Ady the big guy was lame in the near hind
in the trot out.Not super bad but enough.I could see Anita kicking herself but
it was not her fault at all.Quite simply the horse was lame and no matter how
she had trotted it out the result would have been the same.
So we are thinking two all and they were both ahead of our first 2
respectively.We would still retain the trophy as you need 3 to finish in order
to win but it didn't feel the same as a win.
Aha!Then we get the news that the 1st Kiwi horse was late to vetting and Tarni
had won!Woohoo.We had 2 they only had the 1 so it was as good as a win.Way to go
Aussie.
Lisa came through and vetted great so a wonderfull completion to her.A well
ridden consistant ride.The ride was all over and the team was happy with
although not technically a win,a win all the same.
The difference between the 2 sides was horse management.In the vet ring,in the
tactical approach,and on track.All the Aussie horses were handed back to their
owners in good condition even if one was a little lame.
I shall return for the final wrap up and BC results.
Sorry this is getting very long.

Head to the Daily Blob on Windows Live For more of what happens online