Re: [RC] New FEI drug rule...question about placings at a ride - Truman Prevatt

Elizabeth Walker wrote:
This is just my opinion ... RMs please jump in.  However, general rule of thumb - when there is a difference between AERC and FEI rules, any rider competing in combined AERC/FEI must follow the *more restrictive* policy.  It is the only fair way to do such combinations.
There is absolutely no reason for this. If the AERC riders is to follow the FEI rules then it has to be announced in writing prior to the ride. One reason some do not like the co-sanctioned ride is they resent the FEI rules being shoved down their throats. Some of the FEI rules - particularly some of those regarding the vet check (like only giving feed, hay, treats to a horse in a prescribed area) are pretty petty and many AERC riders resent them.

The AERC drug policy is more restrictive than the new FEI policy.  So, to be cross-entered FEI/AERC, the rider would have to follow the *more restrictive* drug protocol. If a horse was given "permitted" drugs under FEI, that horse/rider team would only be eligible to compete under FEI rules.  They could not legally compete under AERC rules.

As it stands now the FEI riders have to be entered in both events (AERC and FEI). When it gets interested is when a horse is found to be in violation of the AERC drug rule but not the FEI durg rule. If tested and caught they will be sanctioned by the AERC which would be suspension from rides for a period of time. If they gave bute the morning of the ride (which seems to be legal in the FEI after Jan 1) I am sure the AERC sanction would be severe say a year suspension for arguments sake.

That says to me a rider cannot enter an AERC ride which means they could not enter a cosanctioned ride since they are on suspension from the AERC. The only way I see to remedy this is for the FEI (or more likely in the US the USEF) to sanction their own riders independent of the AERC.

Of course if the FEI waives the new rule for endurance - this problem would go away. As of yet that has not happened and there is no reason to think it will until it dose if that happens.

The more important consideration is with the AERC' dedication to a drug free environment and with the AERC spending a hefty sum of money to enforce this. If we are serious and to have any credibility about our stated stand on drugs in endurance horses and the long term welfare of the horse I see no way we can support FEI in any, way shape or form including cosanctioning rides and allowing our rides to be run on the same venue with the FEI. You are oftentimes judges based on the company you keep. We are serious or we are not serious by the horses not being ridden on drugs.

Truman

--
“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”  Friedrich Nietzsche