[RC] Starting an older horse in endurance - Jlwarabs

One of my Jr riders did her fist LD's on her then 16 yr old mare, and then 50's on her as a 17 yr old.  She then had time off to have a foal, and now she hopes to get her ready again for 50's next season - she will be 20.
This mare had an active riding career prior to this, they had done pony club and she rode her all over.  IMO - if an older horse has a good fitness base, they can be just as capable if not more so than younger horses.  Essentially the LSD work is done - the bone and tendon density is there - I'd say leg your mare up and see how she does!
Jennifer

Jennifer Whittaker
www.MysticRoseArabians.com