Re: [RC] Here is to hoping it is not - Elizabeth Walker

I agree with Kat - I don't see that this is a bad thing.  At first, I was a bit
behind the curve, and didn't realize that the intent was to provide a special
FEI CoC qualification ride.  Given that is the purpose of the ride, and that it
does *not* conflict with, crowd or replace an existing ride, I don't see the
downside at all.  I *do* see a lot of benefits to co-sanctioning the ride, even
though the intent is to have only FEI ride entries.

First - co-sanctioning a "special" ride allows FEI riders to get AERC credit
for their miles.

Second - co-sanctioning a "special" ride allows AERC to have a say in when the
ride is scheduled, so that it doesn't conflict with an AERC-only, or dual
AERC/FEI ride.  While that might not impact ridership, it might very well
impact land-use, veterinarians, volunteers, etc.

Third - as Kat points out, if the FEI "special" rides are **new** rides, then
ridership is again not affected.  Having a special ride which - due to
co-sanctioning - does not conflict with existing rides hurts no one, and
benefits those riders who want to try for FEI level competition.

Fourth - The price structure is simply an artifact of the AERC sanctioning
rules.  If more of these rides are put on, folks will get used to it.  They
will learn which are the FEI CoC rides, and ignore them if that is not their
area of interest.