[RC] Sitting the Canter (for Daniela) - Jay Randle

Hi Daniela

So, this is how I teach my young riders to sit the canter.....

Keep your heels down.

This forces you to stretch the muscles all the way up the back of your leg, and into your buttocks.  By keeping your heels down, you are also forced to sit straight in the saddle... not lean forward into the 'go' position!

Now, lean very slightly backwards from the vertical!  So that your shoulders are slightly behind your hips.  Not much, but just enough to feel as if you are leaning backwards slightly. And keep your heels pressed down, which then 'plants' your bottom into the saddle.

To begin with, hold onto the pommel of your saddle to balance yourself, until you can feel the 'smoothness' of the canter stride.

And keep your heels down!

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest

With all the lastest places, searching has never been easier. Look now! Looking to move this spring?