RE: [RC] [BarefootEnduranceHorses] white powdery/gooey frogs - Linda Cowles

Sounds like she’s shedding the frog! Frogs shed seasonally (fall and spring) when hair coats change, so its normal. I show some pictures of frog trimming at the bottom of my thrush page, http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/Thrush/Thrush.html but don’t have any pictures up of shedding frogs…

I’ll see if I can find some and put up a page.

What I do is pull the lose frog off and nip it where it resists coming off.  Frogs usually start shedding at the tip, and its common for the frog bulbs to hang on for a few weeks longer.

My pictures of my guys Gabbys frog on this Healthy Frog page are immature but very healthy… they shed about a month before the pictures and are coming back in nicely.

http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/HealthyFallFrogs/HealthyFallFrogs2009.html

Linda Cowles
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com
mailto:HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx