Re: [RC] Entry fees - stephanie teeter

Buddy - I'm certain that the FEI doesn't care about AERC - but USEF does, and the AERC riders who aspire to ride Internationally certainly do - and they have no other options but to ride joint FEI/AERC rides.  Without the AERC structure- and the dual sanctioned rides - they wouldn't have the means to qualify themselves or their horses.  I believe that there is transparency in the joint sanctioned rides - most rides have an AERC entry fee, and then add the FEI fee on top of it. The Git R Done ride is a special case.  I don't believe there is a 'rule' that FEI rides (under the USEF umbrella) have to also be AERC, unless something has changed in the past year or so. But in order to appease AERC (historically) it has been a policy that has never been countered.

Also - the FEI riders have been keeping the 100 mile ride entries high for AERC for the past few years. Most of the large 100's (Tevis a notable exception) have a considerable FEI entry level.

There's a big push in the US right now on the part of USEF (US Equestrian Federation - the international liason to the FEI), since the WEG is being held here in Kentucky.  Time will tell if the program will continue gaining (or holding) strength past the 2010 WEG. But for now it's a big push.

I think it's all working pretty well - as long as ride managers are willing to sanction FEI. It's too pricey for me now - and too much stress and hassle - and too little emphasis on technical trails which makes it pretty uninteresting. But I've hosted FEI rides for the past 8 years, and I do have a lot of respect for the riders that take on the commitment and discipline required to ride at this level. There is some impressive horsemanship out there-

Steph