[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Mongolia becomes 40th nation to join theLong Riders... - Merri

Longridersguild.com - Full Story
November 2009

Since its inception nearly ten years ago, the Long Riders’ Guild has assisted more than a hundred equestrian expeditions on every continent except Antarctica. During that time equestrian explorers and long distance travellers from every corner of the world have joined the Guild. With the completion of the journey made by Temuujin Zemuun and Batmonkh Muntuush, Mongolia becomes the 40th nation to join ranks of the Long Riders.

Canadian Long Rider Bonnie Folkins organized the journey in which she was joined by Temujiin and Batmonkh. Having just hung up her saddle, Bonnie reported on the difficulties, and unexpected emotional discoveries, of that ride.

"The dust and electrical storms are totally off the scale in Mongolia but the worst problems are the horse thieves who lurk around every corner. They are so bold that they rode through the centre of our camp in the daytime to check out our stock." Bonnie reported that horse thieves cut the hobbles off their horses and made several attempts to rustle the expedition horses. Yet despite the physical hardships, the new Canadian Long Rider reported the surprise she felt upon returning "home."

"I was looking out the window, day-dreaming and all I could think about was, I wish I had a horse to ride. But having a horse to ride is not the issue. It is the travelling and the day to day adventure on horseback. Having a horse and travelling by horse, especially if you are en route to an unknown destination, are absolutely separate. I knew at the end of the first week of our ride that because the adventure was on horseback it was completely different than anything I had ever done in my life..."

More...

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 11/13/2009 01:01:00 PM