[RC] fixing crooked rider, mechanical help? - Ruth Maher

I am just such a crooked rider, and began taking lessons recently to correct that... among other things. My instructor rode directly behind me in the arena and asked how I felt balance-wise. I said I felt OK, but like I was curling left. She said that my legs and hips looked OK from behind, but that my left shoulder was noticeably higher than my right.

So I forced it down, and down, and down, until it felt completely stiff and unnatural. At which point she said I was only *almost* level!

This just confirmed what my roomate's Wii Fit had already told me—I have lousy body awareness!

Anyway, I know the muscle retraining is going to be a long road. I work on it at my desk at work. I just keep forcing that shoulder down, even as I'm typing this. And I highly recommend the Wii Fit, because it gives you great visual feedback about where your weight is really centered, plus it's kind of fun. :)

Has anyone tried any kind of brace or strapping system to force better position while riding? I've seen products to hold the shoulders back... maybe they would also help hold them level?

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.