Re: [RC] re: horse insurance - richardson . carla

You're right, last year I had a $2000 vet bill from a colic, no surgery, just exam, fluids, overnight. If he had required surgery, it would have been $5000-8000 they said.

I don't have that kind of $ unfortunately.

Carla

From: Natalie Herman <eponashoes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:30:46 -0800
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] re: horse insurance

I'll take it into consideration..BUT..even a mild visit to Davis (only hosp. "near" me (6hrs at that) that can do "big" stuff like colic surg, etc) can set you back 2K for (I know, I was a friend's chauffeur for her colicy horse...it didn't even need surgery, and between the local vet visits and Davis, her parents were prob 5K in the hole...)...if you need surgery, you are looking at 10K most likely...I do NOT have that kinda money. In fact, being self employed, I pretty much can feed the ponies, pay their pasture rent, and "small" vet bills like stitches (that alone is about 200$+). 2k, esp "all at once" is not doable, vs 2K spread over 12mos of payments to an insurance comp, is.... I'd prob only insure the two young horses anyway, maybe the mare (12 now), maybe not.... Sure, I could go their entire lives NEVER having to use the insurance and feeling dumb paying 2K a year for that, but I would be devastated if I had to put one of them down, cause I don't have the 10K for a colic surgery.... :(
  Nat

“Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.
It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.