[RC] To be fat (or not to be) - Sheila_Larsen

Don't know if you really want an answer but here is mine.  One day I looked
at my mare and she looked just like your horse, I could feel her ribs but
quite the impressive belly.  Then I thought back and remembered that  both
my mares had gotten out one day the previous summer and gone to visit the
stallion next door.  I thought it was my grey mare that had teased the
stallion through the fence but when I went to ask - nope it was the
chestnut mare.  mmmm do I need a pregnancy check - yep she was that rotund.
By the time I had the preg check I was looking forward to having a foal,
love my mare and the stallion was no slouch either.  bummer not preg.  She
was just out of shape from not being ridden much and  her stomach muscles
just weren't toned -  then I looked at my belly and went yep- not riding
enough and muscles aren't toned.  Do I see a trend here.  So I started
riding her more and we both look better for it.  Ok she may look a little
better than I do.

The only problem with your horse is that he is out of shape and heaven
forbid has a hay belly.  I recall reading a column ask the vet where
someone was describing the same problem and Dr. Mackay-Smith responded that
it was just a hay belly and if you could see the ribs the horse was ok.  So
I just went back and looked at your page and realized that most people
think the same, but hay (no pun intended) I spent the time to write this so
I am sending it.

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it.”  Mark Twain

F'^qƬzqwnx׭i0ݺq޴ߢ*'>bs
Zgi0ݺq޷bun+R{.n+
0zwnzwyƦhڲbuuy&