[RC] Garmin Venture HC for riding? - Cindy Stafford

I was blessed with a wonderful Bday present - a Garmin Venture HC GPS wingdangdoodle.  Thumbed thru the manual which covered several different versions so am a bit confused.  I'm wanting to use it when riding on trails (of course!).  Will this let me plot everything on a topo map on my computer and tell me how many miles I went?

If any of you have used this version, what is your opinion of it?  Anything I need to look into adding to it?

thx!

cindy