[RC] Emergency Treatment Fund (was: Research Committee News...) - sherman

Title: Message
With all the information available from vet schools involved in treating equine colic nationwide over the years, is there really much of a chance that the few endurance horses that need colic surgery each year will add significant information about the cause and proper treatment of colic? Of course, I'm assuming the info and studies are shared which may be wrong.  My friend's horse was  treated early this week for a colic.  He was told it's a very common type for endurance horses, the treating vet had been or is currently involved in a study regarding the issue, and still there is not a clear answer on why this happened.

Kathy

 Until the vets are convinced that they know what is going on with the fit, conservatively ridden horse that suddenly "goes south," I want them to do as many treatments and surgeries as the owners will permit.  Much to gain and $3.00 to lose.

Barbara