Re: [RC] Fence Question - Elizabeth Walker

The design at the bottom of the chain link needs special attention.  I have seen one horse that had half its foot ripped off because it got under a chain link fence.

The bottom of the fence needs to be off the ground - I think about the same height as the bottom of a rail fence.  I think I would advise against using a bottom pipe rail.  If she does use a bottom rail, the chain fabric needs to be *very* securely fastened so that a horse kicking or rolling into it can't break the ties at the bottom and get the foot trapped between the chain fabric and the rail -- again, a way to destroy a foot.

One place I boarded had chain link between the corrals.  They used 2 x 6 boards top and bottom (2 boards on top, 2 boards on bottom), with the chain fabric sandwiched in between, and the boards set to cover about 5 - 6 inches of the fabric, and the fabric stapled to the boards.  This helped ensure that the fabric wouldn't pull out.  The bottom board was set something like 12 - 14" above the ground.

I don't know how you would adapt that design to pipe, and if you don't use a bottom rail, the chain will probably be warped and loose very soon.

Hope that helps.