RE: [RC] Fwd: UAE & Spanish horses - Maryben Stover

That was pyroplasmosis and I remember that Rio spent a long time in Germany before he could come back to the US.........mb

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:46:32 -0400
From: tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Fwd: UAE & Spanish horses

In the Atlanta Olympics there were all sorts of regulations on the foreign horses - stall time, combing and searching for ticks before and after they were out, etc. Those were a compromise reached by the USOC and the USDA to even allow the horses in the US. The USDA is quite serious about not having new diseases introduced in the US and I expect the State of KY is even more serious given the impact it could have.

Some years back the US horses tested positive for a tick borne disease after the WEC in Spain. They either had to be treated and quarantined (in Europe) until they could be verified disease free before they could be brought back to the US. A few were sold in Europe and not brought back.

Truman

Elizabeth Walker wrote:
Kind of strange ...

I understand that Kentucky Horse Park would want to be very careful, but I don't quite understand why the horses couldn't stand for best condition.

I'm assuming it had something to do with the requirement of Last In/First Out.  Still, given that this is an STD, some of it seems a bit overboard.  The escorting makes sense, as does the quarantine quarters, but I don't get the reasoning for the Last In / First Out.  The horses are going to be mingling with other horses during the race, and they are going to be walking over the grounds and the course.  I suppose it could be to keep the exposure time to a minimum, but I can't see that it would be particularly effective.

Steph, could you ask Mary if she knows?  I'm just curious.