[RC] re: Shortening AERC rides due to weather - Cindy Stafford

Mike, I believe your response below  was responding to my earlier questions about the KY cup event?

Thanks for your response, but I think I should clarify my question.  I wasn't trying to say that AERC doesn't shorten their rides for weather/trail conditions.  I was really trying to find out if the fact that this ride was shortened due to weather and trail conditions, if that would be considered a problem with the course that would need to be improved for the WEG next year - if an event of that standard has more stringent criteria?   LIke would they have expected that event to ahve handled that amount of rain without shortening it?

For example, the baseball field at the local high school isn't quite the caliber of a MLB stadium.  How did the KY cup course measure up?  Was it major league?  Or farm league?

Thanks again for the education - if anyone wants to chime in too!

Cindy

[RC] Shortening AERC rides due to weather

Add Your Comments
and trail conditions, is that considered a problem that needs to
improved? I know in AERC world it's just one of those things you
deal with you just go with the flow..." Actually AERC rides have been shortened as well as FEI rides. When
it becomes unsafe for our horses to continue, it's in the best
interest of our horses to shorten the ride even if we could "endure".

Here's an example from March of this year where the 100 mile AERC
ride was shortened to 80 miles and the 75 was shortened to 65
miles. Conditions were very bad due to the weather.

AHA Region XII Distance Round Up
Chester, GA

65 miles 75 Miles
on Mar 28 2009, starting at 07:00

80 miles 100 AHA Regional Championship
on Mar 28 2009, starting at 07:00

The concurrent FEI 100 mile event over the same course at the same
time was considered to be about 87 miles down from the 100 it
started as.

Mike