[RC] Kentucky Cup, Test event for the 2010 WEG, Endurance - Lucie Hess

Finally, I have enough connection on my laptop to send an email.  There are 2
different Races being held tomorrow, a 75 mile race and a 100 mile race.
The 100 mile race is the North American Championship, there are American and
Canandian Teams only in the 100. There are many foreign riders riding the 75,
in order to preview next years course. The UAE and Spain are here running a
full team I think. A Spanish rider won the WEC  ride in Malaysia last fall
I think there are maybe 30 some odd in the 75 and 67, I think.. in the  100.

I'm crewing for the Pacific South Team this time. Skip Lightfoot is the
Chef'd'keep  < I can't ever spell this title correctly!> Team captain/Manager
and Shar Quinn is his "Sou" Chef.  She is so organized she keeps us all in
line.  This is Skip's first time at being chef.. he is doing a great job.
Juggling a million jobs at once and keeping everyone happy.

All the horses passed the initial vet exam, so all of them get to start.

Start time for the 75 is 7:30 Am and the 100 starts at 7:46.

There are 6 people on a squad and then the squad is broken down into 4 people
on a team and 2 individuals, who, can be eligible for the individual medal, but
is not on a team.

The Pacific South Team is  Heather Reynolds, Jeremy Reynolds,Carolyn Hock and
Cheryl Dell.  The individual riders are Kim Fuess and Charisse Glen.
Skip said the decision as to who was on the team was very difficult as all the
horses are ready to go!

Grace Ramsey, the Chef for the Central Team..< (my usual team that I defected
from)  It took them a while to speak to me.. LOL>  sat next to me at dinner and
told me who was on their team. The Central Team consists of Jan Worthington,
Darolyn Butler, Ellyn Rapp, and Julie Jackson-Biegert. Jeremy Olsen and
CeciStasuik (butler) are the individuals. Please if I have gotten Team  info
wrong, don't chew me up into little bits!

I don't know about the other teams. Sorry, maybe someone else does.

I've been having a great time with this group of riders, it is really nice to
try to work out side of my comfort zone and get to know new folks.  They have
ALL been very welcoming. I also jhvae made some great new friends!  Ya'll come
by Missouri some time!

The weather may literally SUCK tomorrow.  We have had a big storm here on
Friday, lots of mud and it is just now starting to dry up.  But, rain is being
called for tonight and into tomorrow. The temps are supposed to be in the
middle 40's... brr...  I'm hoping it doesn't rain.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be the Team Statistician, I will get hard copies of
computerized info, reading who comes in at what time, how long it took them to
pulse down and when they can leave.  Then once all the riders finish the first
loop there will be the same info for the  Teams.

My job is to know if anyone is in front of us, how far in front are they, how
fast their horses are recovering etc.  Plus, I also look to see who has a
complete team. A team is out if they have less than 3  team horses still on the
course.  (Individual horses don't count for this team placing). And finally
communicate this info to the Chef in a coherent fashion, while he still juggles
bowling balls and chain saws..

It's time for bed... I have an early and long day ahead of me tomorrow.  I'm
not sure you will hear from me tomorrow.   I don't think my laptop will be too
happy out in the rain.  But I'll post what I know as soon as I can.  Wish
everyone well, Let's hope the weather holds off!
More later..

Columbia, Missouri
NATRC Region 6
AERC # 65