[RC] Kentucky Cup - Tension in the Air - stephanie teeter

"Tension in the air" is how one rider described today.

The young Japanese rider who had a crash near the stables when her horse ran off with her might agree... though I heard she was still planning to ride tomorrow (not sure which gal it was... lots of rumors flying around : )

Grace Ramsey is confident in her team and she's "going for the gold." (You'll see all the teams announced tomorrow). "I've got old age and treachery on my side. I've got 2 pups and 2 old ladies on the team, and I'm due some good luck!"

"It'll be a Thinking Man's Ride," Grace says, "not a Hot Shoe ride." There are a lot of twists and turns and right angles on the course, lots of trails crossing each other and horses will be coming and going. You'll have to pay attention. Emmett Ross says the course is marked well, and there seems to be a surprise on one of the loops, "You'll see it when you get there." Could there be some hidden little mountains out there?

Rain will be a big factor: chance is up to 90% now, and the high will be 44* (the chance of rain has been going up, and the temperature down, during the day). Skip Lightfoot, coach of the Pac South says of the rain, "Bring it on!" He has a couple of horses that will handle it very well. Pac South is the defending gold medal champion, and "we have some big shoes to fill."

Argentineans Miguel Pavolovsky and his son-in-law Pable De Los Heros are happy to be here, riding Cheryl Van Deusen's horses in the 160 km. Argentinean Mercedes Tapia is riding Kathy Brunjes' Theatric; they've been spending a lot of time together today, riding, walking, hanging out and grazing on the bluegrass.

European and World Champion Maria Alvarez is here, riding Sahara, a horse that was second in the Spanish Championship this year, and her husband Jaume Punti is riding Kopal de Cabirat, both in the 160 km.

The UAE and Spanish horses arrived this morning around 8:30, and were the first ones to vet in at 11 AM.

The Tofts are here for Australia, having shipped their own horses over (Penny and 14-year-old daughter Alexandra are riding) for the 160 km, as is this year's co-Quilty winner Matthew Sample on one of Darolyn Butler's horses.

Mustafa Tehrani of India is riding John Crandell's mare LR Jasur Melika; Bettina Nonnenmacher is riding one of Jan Worthington and Grace Ramsey's horses Lu-Nor Soverign in their first 160 km.

I could go on and on... but that gives you a tiny sample.

Much more tomorrow...

Merri