Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:29:28 -0700
From: jane_rodrigue@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] YELLOW JACKETS
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay, things are not going well this year.  My endurance career is on hold because:
1. I moved to Vicksburg, Mississippi and do not own a horse trailer
2. No one in Vicksburg, Mississippi rides endurance, so I am on my own
3. Just riding my one 8 mile ride down the road to try to keep her in shape (and me sane) we were attacked by yellow jackets.  22 stung my on my legs and I could not count the number on her.  She went into semi-shock (pale gums and refusal to move) and I had to call someone to come pick us up and call the vet.

Now she is terrified on rides, spooks at the following:  flies around her head, bees on flowers, any type of roadcut with banks, piles of dirt, and piles of manure that look like dirt.  She really spooks - runs backward, flings her head in the air, bolts, or she hunkers down in terror snorting and creeping along the ground like a cat.  I just stay calm, and if I don't see any sign of a nest, then I gently request that we keep moving forward.  I am not punishing her for being frightened (who blames her), but I am not babying her by cooing everything is alright, I am just trying to act like there is nothing to be afraid of.

Will I be able to get her over this? If so, how long will it take?  If we get in them again, should I just accept the fact that her endurance/trail career is over?

jane