RE: [RC] let's play name the fungus! - ll cole

Okay, you've really put me to the test. I got about a million (give or take..) old Equus magazines that I have been going thru for the past couple of months. I have this very same thing in one of Snort's ears only it is about the size of a quarter. Anyhow, the magazine had these in it!! Photos and all. They are a normal occurrence, and will not harm your horse. The advice was not to try to do anything about them. They had a name..but I forget. Maybe some kind of plaque. They also said you could put some rub on fly stuff on them if the gnats or flies bothered them in the summer. They also mentioned that they would just bleed if you tried to scrape them off and come back anyway.(yes, I have done that, too.) Don't know if this helps, but I remember reading about them.
Linda

From: cjstaf@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] let's play name the fungus!
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:42:28 +0000

My horse hs something in the inside of her ears that looks like it might be a fungus.  They're little white round bumps, each one about the size of a head of a pin (almost like insect eggs).  They're hard and gently scraping witha fingernail doesn't remove any.  It's mostly in one ear, but starting in the other.

asked around at my barn where I board and they've seen it before, said it's a fungus but you can't get rid of it.  If you try, it bleeds and gets worse.

So ridecampers, chime in here if you've seen this before?  and if so, what is it?  And were you able to get rid of it?  How?

Thanks!

Cindy
and Zoey the perpetual medical mystery horse