[RC] Awards - for goodness sake! - Kathleen

Just because someone likes to get awards for their completion/top ten/BC/top vet score/turtle doesn’t mean they haven’t contributed to endurance riding by helping at rides.  I am with Angie on this one; I enjoy a fun or useful completion award or top ten award and I cherish the BC’s that I have gotten.  I really appreciate ride managers who get creative with their awards – we have several in the NW.

And I am NOT ASHAMED and I HAVE helped mark many a trail, Pulsed at pre-ride and during the ride, been a vet scribe,  done the awards for a ride, helped run the finish line at a multiday ride, helped at the check in table at rides, helped set-up camps and helped take down camps, help at our regional convention, served as a board member in our regional association, and I ALWAYS thank the ride manager and I ALWAYS post to our regional board another big public thank you.

Having a tangible item to remember a ride is nice and can bring back smiles years later.  I am personally not crazy about t-shirts but I do like other useful items, especially when the ride logo is on them.  The best award I ever got was an embroidered  blanket for BC.  I wouldn’t let an award determine whether I was going to a ride or not but fun completions awards are a nice surprise.

I don’t think we need to lambast people because they enjoy an nice award…most competitive events give out awards as part of the event.

Kathleen Ferguson

AERC#717