[RC] When my horses have been treated - k s swigart

Lisa Salas said:

I would be very interested to know how many horses
?at any given ride are treated, which distance they were
?riding and at what point they were pulled for treatment,
symptoms that caused the treatment (elevated heart rate?
?body temp?), which region and what was the weather
?like, and any other information that would be educational
?to the rest of us.

I cannot give the data for all horses at all AERC rides, but I can answer many
of these questions about the horses that I have had treated at an endurance
ride.

1) In 1993 after day 5 of the Outlaw Trail (although the horse had skipped day
2 because of a saddle sore he got on day 1) in the Mountain Region.? The
weather was clear, temperatures were probably in the 70s, and being the
Southern Utah desert, humidity was pretty low (but don't ask me how low). After
completing the ride 27th of 88 starters in 5:21 (~35 minutes behind the first
place horse) with "Ok" for all parameters on his vet card, a few hours after
the ride the horse was not all that interested in eating and showed some signs
of being a bit uncomfortable; his heart rate was about 40 which was pretty
normal for him.? Matthew McKay Smith (who was competing at the ride not vetting
it) was camped near me, looked at him, said yes, he is a bit uncomfortable, we
did some massaging and belly lifts with a towel and gave him a shot of
dipyrone.? Within a half an hour he seemed more comfortable and started eating
and looked pretty much like his normal
self.? He behavored normal overnight and I trailered him home the following
day, and he behaved normall for that too.? A month and a half later he
comeplted his first 100 miles in one day ride.

2) In 2002 at the 20 Mule Team 100 in the Pacific South Region. The weather was
clear, temeratures were probably in the 70s during the day and maybe the high
40s over night, and being the Southern California desert, humidity was pretty
low (but down ask me how low).? At the 92 mile vet check which we arrived at at
about 1:00 am my horse recovered in the time it took to get from the in gate to
have her pulse taken (probably less than a minute) at which time I took er to
the vet who checked all her parameters, which were all "Ok" and was asked to
trot out.? At which time, the vet who had had the opportunity to see her trot
out both earlier in the day at vet check 1, and earlier in the year over four
days at Death Valley noticed that, though she was not lame, she was not moving
like he had seen her before (incidentally, she was travelling wide behind,
which was not like her, and seemed a bit "slow' in the hind end) so he asked
the Duck (who was also at
the vet check) to have a look.? The Duck also thought it an odd way to move
for this horse (he had also seen her lots before this ride), checked all her
other parameters which were still all perfectly normal, including her CRI
(which was 40/40), asked me if this kind of movement was normal for her at this
stage of a 100, to which I could only say that I didn't know since this was the
first time we had gotten that far in a one 100 (her only other one day 100 she
had fallen on a paved road, skinned up her knee and fetlock and was pulled at
50 miles).? He told me that she was "within parameters" and that she was my
horse, I knew her better than he did, and that there wasn't anything "wrong"
with her movement except that it was unusual for her.? I decided not to go on
because she seemed tired and uncoordinated and I was afraid that she might trip
in the dark and injure herself so we trailered back to camp, where she spend
the night eating, drinking,
ppeing, and pooping like she normal does.? The following morning she could
hardly move because she was fairly substantially ataxic, although she moved
trotted out soundly (but wide behind) once we got her to take the first step.?
The RM called the Duck to let him know that I was having a problem with my
horse, he looked at her, said he had never seen anything like that before, went
and got Jamie Kerr (who had ridden the ride, not vetted it) who also said that
he had never seen anything like that before, but decided that "we need to get
some fluids into this horse."? We pulled blood to do lab work on it, and gave
her fluids, she peed normal color after about 4 liters (they were 3 liter
bags), and seemed to be moving okay after 6 liters, so we took her home (which
also happened to be about 15 minutes from Chino Vally Hospital, which is the
clinic she would have been taken to from the ride had she needed to go to a
clinic). she was seen by my own vet
the following day, he didn't see anything wrong with her, said that he had
never heard of anything like that before, and we did the lab work on the blood
samples which came back as totally normal except for high in potassium (which I
am told may not have been meaningful since it was over?two days from the time
the blood was drawn to the time it got to the lab) and a CPK of ~9,370 and an
AST of 825, which while outside the range of normal for a non-working horse,
not particularly outside the range of what is often seen in horses that have
done 92 miles of an endurance ride.

3) After having done 280 more miles at the end of 2002 and during 2003 with
multiple top ten finishes on the same horse (and several participations in the
"Pride Project' with blood work that showed the numbers to be the same as all
her other Pride Project participations), in 2004 at the NC 100 in Warner Hot
Springs in the Pacific South region.? The weather was clear with temperatures
in the high 80s low 90s and the humidity was very low (under 10% if I remember
correctly).? I did ride the horse with a HR monitor during the ride and noticed
that her working HRs were 60-70 when walking, 85-110 when trotting, and 75-90
when cantering. At ~60 miles (vet check 3 which was practically in camp) after
vetting through with all A's a CRI of 44/40 and a comment from the vet that
"these horses (mine and the two others who I rode in with) look the best of all
the horses we have seen so far" and eating and drinking like a pig through the
1 hour hold she moved a
little uncoordinatedly in the hind when I got on to leave the vet check, so I
took her again to the vets, who said, "she looks great, go."? So I got back on,
she turned around oddly again, so I got off, told them I was pulling her, and
took her back to camp, and told my crew (who was the same as who had been at 20
MT), "Let's not wait for her to eat and drink through the night only for her
not to be able to move in the morning, and jump straight to the treat her with
fluids part."? I took her to the treatment vet and explained why I wanted him
to treat a horse that "looked fine."? While waiting (while he treated other
more compromised horses) her condition did again begin to start down the road
of "ataxic" at which point three other very experienced endurance vets agreed
that they,too, had never seen anything like that before, "but yeah, it does
look as though there is something wrong with this horse."? She was again
treated with IV fluids, which
the vet fortified with Mg++?and Ca++ (and something else, I think Na+, but I
wouldn't swear to it).? Again she peed after getting?about 4 ?liters, but we
gave her another 6 (since she was hooked up to the drip, the vet figured we
might as well), by the time I took her back to the trailer she was again moving
normally.? I had made arrangements with Barney Fleming (who was vetting the
ride) to "privately" do the "Pride Project" with him so he had pulled blood
from her the night before the ride, spun it down and frozen it, with the
intention of analyzing it (along with others pulled during and after the ride)
when he got home (since he didn't have his machine with him).? However, the
treatment vet DID have a machine with him, so before she was treated with the
fluids he pulled blood from her and Barney unfroze the sample from the night
before and both of them were run on the same machine.? All the parameters were
within normal except for the CPK on
the second sample (after 60 miles but before the treatment) was 3300 (AST was
286).?

I have, since then, retired this horse from endurance.? I SUSPECT that this
condition is caused by some kind of electrolyte imbalance because of the way
she responds to treatment, and I SUSPECT that it is a magnesium deficiency,
since ataxia is one of the symptoms of hypomagnesmia and magnesium is a
parameter that was not included on any of the multitude of blood tests that
were done on blood samples taken during endurance rides.? But if so, then this
horse has a bit of a problem with metabolizing magnesium, and if the problem
shows up as ataxia, then I don't think she is a good candidate for an endurance
horse.? I have since done some private experiements?during hot days at home
?(using my other endurance horse and a friend riding her as a control) which
includes blood work with magnesium tests, and have found that this horse AND my
control horse both get magnesium deficient in the blood during long term
aerobic exercise on hot days, so I suspect
that lots of endurance horses are magnesium deficient during endurance rides
and their riders just don't know it, but this is almost pure speculation based
on very few data points.

I started doing eventing with the horse instead until she started to get heel
sore in the front feet from the jumping when the fences started getting higher
and inow use her for a trail riding horse, lesson horse, and just a few weeks
ago she pulled a cart for the first time.? She could probably still do 50 mile
rides (the problem never showed up until she had gone further than that), and I
might be able to use her for a Ride & Tie horse now that people other than me
can ride her (she marked and unmarked the trail for the Bar H Ride and Tie this
spring).

4) In 2008 at the 20 MT 100 in the PS region, the weather was clear with
temperatures in the 70s? duirng the day and probably the 40s over night and it
being the Southern California desert humidity was pretty low (but don't ask me
how low), we completed the ride at ~3:00 am with all As all day (and night) and
CRIs of 48/40 (35 mi); 48/44 (65 mi); and 44/40 (post ride) and meeting
criteria of 60 in the time it takes to get from the in gate to the P&R check.?
Some time between 7:00 am when I took the horse for a walk, and 8:30 am after
breakfast when I took the horse for another walk, my horse became unable to put
down her left hind leg, and it started to swell, her HR was slightly elevvated,
52.? I consulted the head vet (Melissa Ribley) who confirmed that she was in
pain, gave her some torbagesic (sp?) and maybe Banamine (I don't remember for
sure), and consulted with the Duck who speculated that she may have gotten
stuck with a cholla.? I asked if
she thought it would be best for me to find a place to keep her there in
Ridgecrest, or to trailer her home (~ 3 hours, and again, closer to the same
nearest clinic), and it was decided that since she now seemed comfortable
enough to load into and stand in the trailer, that it was probably best to get
on the road.? I took her home, she seemed to be moving much better when she got
off the trailer, so I called the vet to come out and see her the next day.?
Which he did, x-rayed her to see if she had broken anything (she hadn't)...to
make a long story short, she had contracted cellulitis that responded to a long
course of heavy duty anti-biotic treatment but never showed any signs of having
a wound.? It took a couple of months for all the swelling to go away, but she
hasn't had a problem with it since.? Lots of speculation on how she might have
gotten it, but it is just that, speculation.

5) in 2009 at the 20 MT 100 in the PS region, the weather was clear with
temperatures in the 70s? duirng the day and probably the 40s over night and it
being the Southern California desert humidity was pretty low (but don't ask me
how low), at the 65 mile VC after meeting criteria immediately upon arriving
and letting the horse rest and eat for the required 1/2 hour before being
checked (a requirement of the ride) she pooped on the way into the vetting area
and I noticed she had a little bit of blood on her stool so I proceeded to the
vet and told her that we wouldn't be going on and why.? The vet checked her
with a 48/48 CRI, a B- for gut sounds, and a B for skin tenting and mucous
membranes, but otherwise all As so she "passed" the vet check and we decided to
watch her before deciding whether to go on.? She was kinda tired and wanted to
lie down and rest, so?I told the vet that I didn't need to watch her any more
before deciding whether to continue,
we weren't going on no matter what, I had seen enough.? I took her back to the
trailer when she lay down and had a long nap, which was sufficiently concerning
that the vet asked if I would like to treat her with fluids.? Though she did
get up and started picking at food, she was still showing signs of being
dehydrated and when the vet suggested wetting her hay I said that that was
almost guaranteed to reduce her interest in eating it to zero (since wetting
her feed even at home when she feels fine puts her off her feed), so we decided
to treat her with fluids.? She continued eating (consistently although not
voraciously) while she was getting the fluids, peed with normal color after
having 13 liters of the 15 liters total that she got, ate and drank pretty
consistently all night long and moved easily when I took her for short walks
every couple of hours through the night peed and pooped normally, travelled
home without incident the following day and
has seemed normal ever since.? I am currently conditioning her with the
intention of drag riding at the Malibu Ride in November (Kim Fuess has asked me
to).

At the vet checks leading up to the 65 miles where we stopped and she was
treated, she recovered at each of them within the time it took to get from the
in gate to the pulse check.? At the first (15 miles) and third (57 miles) vet
checks where the CRI was taken immediately after meeting criteria her CRIs were
52/52 and at VC 2 (36 miles) where the CRI was done 1/2 hour after meeting
criteria her CRI was 48/40.

As you can see from these reports, in these instances time to reach HR criteria
after arriving at a check point, and CRIs did nothing to indicate any incipient
problems that would later be treated.

The only times I HAVE had a horse with a "hanging" pulse that didn't come down
almost immediately upon arriving at the check point were caused by external
stimuli that "agitated" the horse.?

At the 1997 Mt Charleston 75 (PS Region, temperatures in the 70s?, low humidity
being the Southern Nevada desert) at the first vet check, my horse was coming
in to the first vet check (at base camp) at the same time that the 50 milers
were leaving for the start, and every time one of them would go by and head out
of camp her HR would jump up like it was on a trampoline.? I am pretty sure it
took pretty much the whole half hour (the time it took for all the 50s to get
out of camp) for her to come down if you could get her to stand still for long
enough to get a stethoscope on her.? As the day progressed and she got more
tired, she cared less about all the stuff going on in camp and her recoveries
by the last vet checks were "as long as it took to get from the in timer to the
pulse checker."? When I pulled this same horse from the Desert Pines 100 at the
~60 mile VC, it was because she had recovered abnormally quickly at the first
and second vet checks.

At day 1 of ?the 1999 Rocky Mountain MD ride (MT Region, temperatures in the
70s?, low humidity being the high altitudes of the Rockies in the summer time)
my horse had a hanging pulse of 80 at the finish, so I took him to the vet,
where she did a CRI which was found to be 80/76, at which time I asked her if
it might be explained by the agressively biting horse flies that he was
stomping his feet about, and she asked me if i had electrolyted the horse,
which I hadn't and said that I never did.? Shortly after that, my crew got back
from their sight seeing with the keys to the horse trailer, so I applied some
fly spray and gave him some electrolytes; he recovered to 40 w/in 2 minutes of
these administrations so I took the horse to the vet for his completion check.?
She said that oral electrolytes do not work within 2 minutes and that it was
almost assuredly the flies.

Personally, I have never found absolute HR measurements to be all that
meaningful.? Some horses have low heart rates and "recover" quickly and some
don't.? And I haven't found it to be all that closely linked with level of
fitness.?

What I HAVE found though is that when heart rates are uncommonly low for that
individual and the HR (and the horse) is rather unresponsive to environmental
stimuli, THAT is one of the first signs that my horse is getting tired and
might be getting into some metabolic trouble.

if other people want to tell about when they have had their horses treated at
rides, I would be interested to hear if their experiences are different from
mine.? Because MY experience is that HR is a piss poor indicator of well,
anything..? That a much better indicator is to take a look at the whole picture
and get that "gut" feeling that something just ain't quite right, and to not
let a "normal" heart rate (and/or any of the other specific parameters) lull
you into thinking that everything must be okay.

But if other people's experiences are different (presumably like the first
across the finish line horse at the NC 50 this year), I would be interested in
hearing it.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s.? You will note that most of the ride/treatment reports that I have given
here have weather conditions of "temperatures in the 70s with rather low
humidity."? I doubt that that weather condition was much of a contributing
factor.? Altough it might have been, because one of the things that happens in
such weather conditions is that the horse can sweat A LOT but it dries out so
quickly that you never see it, you can only taste it, in all the salt that is
mixed in with the dirt on your horse's coat (which you may only taste if you
are as anal about currying your horse at vet checks as I am).