[RC] ANCER 09 (Travels with Spanky Part 2) - Lucie Hess

Where was I?
 Oh.. leaving to go to the ride.  No problems with the trip to Indiana, got to the  stopover " Cutting Up Stables and Horse Motel". run by Mike and Melinda Gerrish. Great folks, they insisted that one of them would meet me at the Interstate and lead me into their place, since I was getting there after dark.  I could have found my way there no problem, but it was nice being lead into their farm.  They have stalls and turn out, I was able to plug in the trailer and boost my batteries. They also have a log cabin that is really cute to stay in if you don't have living quarters.  The place is only 3 miles from the interstate (Shirley, Indiana)  and a Truck Stop is right at the intersection.
 Their website is cuttingupstables.com. Tell'em Lucie sent ya.

Spanky was rested the next morning and Charlie -- the  traveling dog-- had forgiven me for letting him get too close to the Electric Fence and lighting up his ear when I was taking him for a walk.  It's not funny, but there was a loud pop, a bright flash and yelp all at the same time.  Poor puppy! I was worried he would never ever go to the bathroom on his leash ever again.  But he rallied! No further  potty  problems.

The trip to the ride site was uneventful, just how I like it, Pulled in, found an electric spot and set up camp.    I had parked quite a way away from the other Appaloosa Competitors becausee there weren't any places left up close, but  I  was happy where I was.
Checked in, vetted in and then Surprise.. saw some friends from Home.  Bill Johnson and Bonnie Yoho, who lived in Arkansas and recently moved to Ohio, walked right by my camp.  They said they recognized Charlie first.  So not only did I have Appaloosa friends, I had friends form home.   I was glad to see Bill and Bonnie, but I sure didn't realize how important Bill would be to my ride on Saturday.

Friday night before the ride meeting Carolyn Lodeman fed us a wonderful meal of Vegatable Beef Soup, Bread and dessert. I was so hungry, I had seconds.  Kevin Pullen, the Appaloosa Distance Secretary had us all introduce themselves, and had goodie bags for all the riders. Diana McDonald and others (i'm sorry I can't remember who) had gotten a lot of goodies for the riders, my favorite was the Cowboy Magic mane detangler, it works great on tangled manes and tails.   (Pay attention NATRC friends) There was also a raffle for all of the entered riders, I was picked first and got Purina Horse Treats and a flashlight.  I was happy.  All the Sponsors were listed on a big sign at Carolyn's trailer and Kevin made sure to mention all of the Sponsors.  I believe since the ApHA is having some money problems, these sponsors really saved the Day.  Thank YOU all so much!!!
Next was th eride meeting, I wen tup and looked at the big Map that was blown up on a big sign, I could figure out part of it, but was really confused on parts of it.  <Important Detail for later in the story>
I still was confused about the last loop even after the trail briefing. But I thought I'd figure it out on the trail and went back to the trailer to get ready for the ride. Since I didn't have a crew, I put everything I could think of into my crew bag and took it to the truck that was  taking crew bags out for those without crews.
Then a final meal of beetpulp & electrolytes (Preform and Win) for Spanky and a walk for Charlie, then to bed.
Next ... the ride and trip home..

Columbia, Missouri
NATRC Region 6
AERC # 65