[RC] Hoof Care Recommendations - Dream Weaver

Steve - does your farrier have any ideas on why the one front hoof is weak?  How is the other front foot in comparison?  and the hinds?  Have you got photos?  It would help a lot to see what you've got before getting too detailed with advice.

Keeping a competing endurance horse barefoot can be a challenge in itself, but even moreso if you are starting with hoof problems.  It takes several months for a hoof to grow out so even if you start giving new supplements and make other nutritional changes now you won't see things show up in the hoof wall for a few months.

I use a really good all around supplement on all of my horses that I'm really happy with and have used it on them since I pulled their shoes in early 2005.  It's called Mega Dose by Horse Guard.  It's great for hooves but also has the organic selenium in the quantity that my horses need: https://www.horseguard.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=Mega+Dose     and it comes in pellets so they will eat it readily without it needing to be mixed with anything else.

There are topicals that you might try like Hoof Armor, or Durasole ( here is a blog post I did about using Durasole, it really works) that can help with converting to barefoot and keep your horse comfortable during the transition.  The other advice about getting a rasp and keeping up with flares and cracks is good, as is the one about figuring your horses nutritional needs and if there are any deficiencies.  You should also seek additional advice from another hoof care provider that has the skills and education to help you.  The really good ones can work with you to help with your whole horse management program.  Which really, if you want to keep a horse barefoot it takes looking at the entire picture - how your horse lives, your nutrition program, exercise program and last but not least, the actual care of the hooves.  It's a lot easier to keep an endurance horse shod, but it sounds like you are trying to find the best solution for your horse even if it means more effort on your part.  (and, your current farrier may be that person, without knowing him or her, it's hard to say but a 2nd opinion never hurts)

Good luck!

Karen
http://www.enduranceridestuff.com/blog