[RC] OT Blood Clots in Rider leg - Roger Rittenhouse

Hi  Not to take away from the import issues of 60-in-30 and the budget..

I am taking a 'old timer' liberty of asking about a health issues RE mostly
applies to older senior rider :)

Just when things were looking good, getting in some really fun riding with my
foxtrotter... I got a new issues to deal with./

Spent he last 2 days going though the super medical process.. the best in the
world  private health care...
Thursday after I went to the Doc with a swollen hot and throbbing left leg.
Problem started about 5 days ago.
Had some blood work then an appointment for ultrasound was made for Fri - today
-
in the morning.

The ultrasound was for DVT.. aka blood clots in the leg veins. I knew things
were
not going well when the young  tech stopped talking to me and was spending ALLOT
of time behind the knee. Senior tech arrives  mumbles a bit and leaves. I get
told to wait for the Radiologist to review the  study-that is   NOT good. I
ended
up being sent back to my primary care Doc, within a few hours I had more blood
pulled and getting  a script for 6 shots - I give myself -- sort of like
Heparin.
To stop blood clotting. SQ in the stomach and yes it is painful a bit

Monday I go back and will get blood tests results and then get started on 'rat
poison' Warifin.

Now to riders that have this issue. Can you still ride? How long from the start
of the blood thinner before you could ride. Worried about a chunk breaking off
and taking you out?  Like way out on trail someplace  - there is no way  I would
make it back for sure.

The legs is still a bit  inflamed and from what the Doc told me it make take 6
12 for the body to absorb this clot. All they can do is give me drugs to stop
the
clot from growing and 'hope' I dont get one in the other leg.

The Dr says to not bend the knee, no lifting stooping, hauling hay,  all the
normal stuff one does around the horse place. He told I could ride 'later' but
was concerned about banging the knee/leg on the saddle and breaking off a chuck.
Well at a walk and a foxtrot, there is not much of that..

We all cannot figure out why I got this. Active, in great shape, 'natural'
balanced diet, take a suite of supplements, Dont sit all that much at the
computer and TV.. I am up and about doing stuff.

One thought is 'para-sympathetic' auto generated clot due to the back lash of
cancer..Go figure that one. That's great :) Going on 5 years clean -- now?
So next I go to an oncologist for who knows what..

Apologize for the post - sort of- but needed to 'verbalize' this "to ask the
endurance family"

The bottom line  is from those who had/have this condition -- when can I ride
again

If you want to respond via PM  roger @   vmaxept . com

Now back to on topic stuff
Thanks