[RC] choking horses, soaking hay - Naomi Preston

I, too, have had a horse choke on hay.  At my first Tevis with Mustang Lady, before she drank at Robinson, she grabbed a huge bite of the Tevis hay(alfalfa) and had a bad choke.  Luckily it was an hour hold, and she worked it out, with me syringing water into her mouth (not sure if that helped, but who knows.).  She was probably a bit dehydrated when she stuffed in that hay.   Bad scenario.
I've also heard Dr. Peterson's talk about soaked hay....as referenced by Merri.  BUT, I think avoiding a choke is more important, especially if it's a horse that has choked before.  We've also had horses choke on grass hay here at the ranch, when we start feeding hay during the winter.  We have two horses that are known offenders -- they tend to gorge!

I think wetting the hay for the first few bites at a vet check is prudent.  Once they get their "juices going", dry hay seems fine.  Also making sure they don't take a HUGE amount of hay in their mouth when dehydrated.

Naomi

www.TTeamforendurance.com