Re: [RC] VC 100 and choking horses - Barbara McCrary

Our son-in-law was cheated out of a Tevis finish several years ago when the Tevis crews offered Steve's horse dry alfalfa.  The vets could not solve the choke without treatment, so his horse was DQ'd.  Moral of story...wet down the hay thoroughly and this is less likely to happen.  And perhaps, feed small amounts gradually, so the horse doesn't gobble too fast.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:02 AM
Subject: [RC] VC 100 and choking horses

Just finished Karen Chaton's VC 100 story (exciting read as always!)

Reading about Tigger's choke episode along with a couple of others at the ride had me curious.  Is having 3 horses choke at a ride a bit odd (is the number high or not uncommon at a 100 mile ride for horses to choke?).  If it's a rare thing, any theories as to why it happened to a few horses there?  Is it because of being in the desert, being dehydrated and gobbling up food to fast?

Would be interested in any theories from teh vets/crews from the ride.  I"m a chronic worrier and need to have solutions to all the 'what-if's' out there, lol.

thanks
cindy