[RC] a few other thoughts on the 1/2 hour or 1 hour hold - oddfarm

Maybe we should take the whole hour at the end. Maybe instead of rushing to reach criteria, we (the riders) should be taking our horses back to the pen, giving them that whole hour to re-hydrate and eat, (better gut sounds at the check) cool out more naturally and then just a few extra minutes to observe them.

That way, when we do present to the vet we can give the vet more information, (the horse did or didn't eat, drink, poop, pee) and the heart rate should be more telling as in if it is at 60 or below, it wasn't done artificially with cold water and only temporary. Sometimes these horses drop their body temp and heart rate just for the time that they are at the check having water poured on them. Ten minutes later, both are back up but they have passed the vet check.

Why are LD riders encouraged to "rush" their horses to get their pulse down in order to get a finish time? How is that in the best interest of the horse? Why are most rides set up so that after you get a pulse, you are immediately sent to see the vet for your completion? A lot of horses don't have great gut sounds. Duh! They have been moving out for the past 10-20 miles. If you give them a chance to cool naturally, they eat and drink and guess what? The gut starts moving. A horse might reach a pulse of 60 in the P&R box, but by the time they get to the vet, it might be 72. Then it might come down after standing for the vet for a few minutes but then his buddy trots off and it shoots up to 78. How accurate is that?

Wouldn't the vets get a better, more accurate reading of the horses condition if:

A. The rider could give details about the horses thirst and appetite after the horse has had a chance to really recover?

B: Getting a more consistent HR after the horse has had a chance to recover?

C: Giving the horse the longer time for recovery instead of rushing, only to have the rider bring the horse back when trouble does start to show up?

Again, I do think horses should recover cardio wise within 15 minutes or so. But since the welfare committee says, "One key issue that the Welfare of the Horse Committee would like to continue to stress is that riders need to be vigilant in their observations, sensitive in their intuition and to seek immediate help if things do not appear to be 'right' with their horse.", then why can't the riders decide within that hour when to present? If they feel like their horse is not recovering normally, go sooner rather than later. If the horse is recovering nicely, leave them be to eat and relax before presenting to the vet.

The decision should NOT be based on the fact that a shorter time would cause difficulty at the finish. It's not about what is easier for the human, but what is best for the equine. By the way, many have expressed the opinion that since the horse is not going back out, the finish could be a tad more liberal. I am wondering if those same people think the time should be shortened to the half an hour.

Lisa Salas, the Odd fArm