From: mary <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] re: Do you wear a protective vest? (was: helmet thread)
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 10:38 PM

This topic is very fitting for me this
week.  I went
out last Sunday to Riverside State Park which takes about
an hour to drive
to.  While I was driving there to meet Kathy, I
wondered what I might have
forgotten to put in the trailer and mentally started going
through a list.
There are some things you can do without, and other things
you can’t.
Then there are the iffy things.  I quite often leave
my brain at home but
manage to ride without it.   I have yet to forget
my saddle or bridle
- but what about my helmet? If I forgot it, what would I
do?  I decided
that if I did forget it, I would ride carefully.
After all, my horse is
so much better about not spooking and spinning.  My
seat is much stronger
and more balanced since Centered Riding. So I should be OK
– right?   Fortunately
though, I did bring my helmet – and I really mean
fortunately. About 13
miles into the ride, we were going at a good clip and I was
following Kathy. I
was 2 pointing as the speed I needed to go to keep up was
just too choppy to
sit. Now I can’t swear to all this, but we went
around a curve and there
were 2 small trees growing in the middle of the trail that
I was
following.  A decision had to be made in a split
second as to where we
would go – right or left and my horse immediately
made the choice for
me.   I remember seeing the trees,  Gracie
decided to go left
and so I followed her lead by leaning and ducking to the
left also.  I
know now that I must have hit the tree with my shoulder
(the big bruise on the
front of my shoulder told me this) and got knocked
off.  Last thing I
remember is seeing the trees coming at me. I woke up 1 or 2
minutes later on
the ground in pain and very nauseous trying to talk myself
into getting back on
my horse and riding the 12 miles back to the
trailers.  My brain was
definitely scrambled for me to have even considered
it.  After throwing up
we decided that was not feasible. Fortunately I had my cell
phone and the GPS
function was turned on so that EMS could find us. It also
helps to ride with a
nurse which Kathy is.  I ended up having a cat scan
and staying in the
hospital for 3 days with 5 broken ribs and a
concussion.  Just think, if I
felt that way after falling WITH my helmet on I imagine I
would be dead now if
I had not been wearing it.  After all the muscle
spasms I had every time I
moved this last week, the pain of getting out of bed and
off the couch and just
the pain of just breathing, I have decided to add a safety
vest to my list of
things to wear when I go riding.  I’m also
thinking that adding the
safety vest might help my husband quit asking me If I am
sure I want to keep
riding.  Try breaking ribs and getting a concussion
and you might change
your mind about the different safety precautions you use. I
hated the idea of
wearing a vest since it might be hot and certainly is not a
good fashion
statement.  I would much rather ride without a helmet
and definitely
without a safety vest, but I would also rather be alive and
able to ride than
to be Humpty Dumpty.

- mary