[RC] VC 100 - Maureen A. Fager

Kathy asked:
It wasn't hot, but was windy which dehydrated me more than any ride I've been to even though I drank about 48 oz each loop. Maybe the wind dehydrated horses
as well, so even though they were drinking well, it still wasn't quite enough? One of the horses I rode about 37 miles with never looked wet, just salty. It seems that they would have to sweat more to try to cool their bodies, since the wind would keep drying them out quickly. Anyone know? **************************

I have read that one of the dangers of a dry climate with very low humidity is that sweat dries so fast that one my not realize how fast one is dehydrating.  I found a link to weather stat's for Reno from 9/19 and it shows that the humidity for Reno was from 11am to 7pm under 20% and as low as 14%.   Here is a link to the weather history page:  http://tiny.cc/tIc6D

I crewed for one of the finishers-a local rider/horse who are climatized-but still watched water intake of both very closely.

There were several riders who self pulled for various reasons do to them recognizing problems with their horses--Kudos to them all!

Cheers,
Maureen
"The birds they sang at the break of day  Start again I heard them say  Don't dwell on what
has passed away or what is yet to be.......Ring the bells that still can ring  Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything  That's how the light gets in."  from Anthem by Leonard Cohen