[RC] Do you wear a protective vest? (was: helmet thread) - k s swigart

Susan said:

When it comes to my health I will do everything possible to
?protect myself. I wear a helmet mountain bike riding and
?horseback riding.?
?
I am curious to know.? How many of the people here who have said that they
would never get on a horse without a helmet on, also wear a protective vest?
?
I hardly ever see people with them on at endurance rides.? So there aren't very
many people riding endurance who "do everything prossible" to protect
themselves.
?
Me?? I consider a protective vest to be a far more important and effective
piece of safety equipment than a helmet with far fewer downsides to it.
?
And I consider a cowboy hat to be a more effective piece of "protective head
gear' than a helmet, as the cowboy hat protects you from the sun...all the time
(except at night), while a helmet only protects you if you hit your head, which
face it, compared to exposure to the sun, hardly ever happens.
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)
?
P.S. My opinion about this may be skewed as the riding injury that almost
killed me (a fractured liver) could pretty easily have been prevented if I had
been wearing a protective vest; while, on the other hand, in the same accident,
the neurosurgeon who attended me told me (and winced while he was saying it)
that had I been wearing a helmet at the time, I would now probably be either
dead or a para/quadrapalegic, instead of "getting away with" a mild concussion.