From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michelle Aquilino
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:25 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Biltmore Mountin' Hopes Fall Fling - From the Turtle's Perspective

Ever since the first ride I volunteered at (Fort Valley 2005), I fell in love with the turtle award.  I knew I'd want at least one before my horse got too fit for it (and me too competitive, ha ha).  I think there is a lot to be said for the turtle rider, and it takes a lot of heart to be out there for that long (particularly on a 100!).  Anyway, I am a turtle fan, and always will be =)

I took my horse down to Biltmore this weekend for her first 50.  I was planning on an 8-8.5 hour ride, but somehow found myself in the back and knew I'd pretty much be coming in at the end.  I just wanted a completion though, and thoroughly enjoyed the ride (more so after we were on our own, without other horses around to pull her faster than I wanted to go).  I took pictures, enjoyed the scenery, it was great.

The first "problem" was not a big one.  The second to last loop ended through the finish line, so as I was finishing THAT loop, everyone was there cheering as though I finished, but alas, I was not, ha ha.  I had one more loop to go!  This wasn't really a "problem" per se, but the beginning of my experience of the ride unique to the turtle position.

The second unique part was that the checkpoint people had already left by the time I got back through that section.  I had been looking forward to seeing them and saying hi =)  Oh well.

The "problems" didn't really start until the finish.  I was so excited trotting down the road.  I knew we were going to finish in time and that my horse was going to get her first 50 mile completion!  I was doing my "whoop whoop" to get her excited and know it's the end.  I was smiling and beaming, waiting for the "finish" sign around the next corner.  I came up to it, but this go around, there wasn't anyone out cheering.  The volunteer was in her car reading a book, and didn't see me until I was past the finish line and waiting for her to take my card.  Now please note I am not complaining about the volunteer (yay for volunteers!).  I have volunteered several/many times, including once at a checkpoint in the pouring rain, with a raincoat and nothing else, and it was COLD.  I couldn't even mark people coming and going, I had to use my fingers (everything was soaked).  I know what it feels like to be waiting for that last person to come in.  But it was anticlimatic, and started my downward spiral of the end of the day.  It would have been nice to have some cheering, someone to share in my excitement to complete =)

I took my horse to my trailer, untacked her, sponged her down, and started the walk to the vet area.  As I approached the ring (where the vetting was), I couldn't see anyone in there, everyone was gone.  I was thinking to myself "where the heck are the vets?  I still need my completion..."  I saw some volunteers on the side packing something up (to come to this later), and said "excuse me, I need a vet", so they called a vet, and eventually one came in.  This continued my feeling as though I had come into base camp after the party was completely over and everyone had packed in for the evening.

I vetted in (60/56 CRI, my horse did great!  I also held her back too much, I know, ha ha), earned my completion, and started my walk back to the trailer.  As I was walking, I noticed the scale was gone.  I think that's what they were packing up when I was walking up originally.  So I didn't get to weigh my horse in after the ride (I had weighed her prior, and was looking forward to weighing her after, since the scales are less prevalent at the rides I frequent).  I didn't understand why they couldn't have waited a few more minutes to let me weigh her.  This continued my feeling of being "less" important than the rest of the riders.

I continued my walk back to the trailer.  A friend I had met that day came up and was talking to me about how my ride went, and how he had been pulled, etc.  He told me that they had decided to start dinner early, since there was "only one person" still out.  I was shocked.  Dinner was scheduled for 7, I had come in at 6:30, figured I had plenty of time to finish up, feed my horse dinner, and get to dinner before the awards started after the dinner was served.  But I was wrong, they had started dinner around 6:30 instead of waiting for me to come back.

As I put my stuff away, gave my horse her dinner, and said goodbye to my mom (gotta love a non-outdoorsy mom who drives out to Biltmore to spend the ENTIRE day - from start to finish - at base camp for my horse's first 50 =), I started hearing the applause from the awards.

Anyway, I realize that I am a sensitive woman, particularly after a long and tiring day of 9.5 hours of riding, but I was just really bothered by everything here (from the finish onwards).  Is this normal?  Does anyone else find this sad, and understands my perspective?  If it is normal, I'd like to hear from other turtle people, if there's any one thing you'd really appreciate from a volunteer or fellow rider to make you feel more noticed and important.  I will make it my personal goal to do so at whatever rides I volunteer at =)

This made me think of the poor people finishing their 100s at the end.  I know there are lots of people there for the first few finishers, but I sure do hope that someone is cheering for that last person :-/

"Only one person" has feelings just like anyone else, and I just don't understand the reasoning to start things early without them.  If I had gotten lost and been out there for hours past the "end" of the ride, that'd be different, but I was on time, I wasn't late.  Anyway, I don't know.  I guess if it had been a 55 mile ride, the "end" would have been past "dinner" probably, things can't always "wait" for the turtle person I guess.  I just never really thought of things from this perspective, and didn't realize how closed down things would be coming in as a turtle finisher.  I hope to hear from encouragement for this not being normal though, because I really enjoyed riding at a turtle pace, it was a fun and great day =)  But I am alone at rides, and riding turtle, I am riding alone essentially the whole time, it makes a difference to have someone to share in that excitement at the end, it boosts my own excitement.  Or I'm just weird.  Anyway, just thought I'd share for a few different reasons...

-Michelle

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"