[RC] re: Helmets - Michelle Aquilino

Ok, I just got the last digest, and it looks like the thread is dead, lol.? But I was gone all weekend at Biltmore and want to make my one contribution =P? lol.
?

1.? I agree with Marshall, that we need to set the example.? It’s the same with wearing bike helmets.? Since it’s only a rule for kids, it’s hard to prevent kids from seeing the ability to NOT wear a helmet as part of becoming an “adult”.? We need to show them that it’s the smart thing to do, whether it’s the “rule” or not.

?

- As an added note here, and hopefully not being too harsh, but I am not surprised that your kids are hiding their helmets in the bushes Kathie, if they don’t see you wearing a helmet…? They don’t like to admit it, but kids follow their parent’s examples in a lot of ways.? I also can’t help but think that you may not be sizing the helmet right or getting one that’s the right shape, etc.? Something.

?

2.? I didn’t realize that AERC had the rule about the cover of Endurance News and helmets.? I am SO glad to hear that.? I always hate it when people in movies / on tv / in magazines / etc are riding horses without helmets =P

?

3.? I agree with Rae.? Should we not wear ANY protective gear, unless it protects our entire body?? Nothing except a big plastic bubble is going to protect EVERY possible injury =P

?

4.? I also agree with Cindy.? You get used to it if you have the motivation to.? My head is hotter with a helmet, but I don’t care, because you never know when you’re going to be flying towards a tree or the ground.? On a similar note (not with protective gear), I love riding without my camelbak, but I am so sensitive to dehydration that the heat and weight is worth it to me.? It’s all a matter of cost/benefit analysis.? And to me, the cost of having a hotter head is well worth the benefit of protecting my brain.

?

5.? I actually agree with Lynn.? I am a libertarian when I think about it, but sometimes lose touch of that view.? I don’t necessarily want there to be a “rule”, I just don’t understand people’s reasons for NOT wearing a helmet, it seems common sense to me, and no one will ever convince me to ride a horse without one.

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"