Re: [RC] helmet thread - Eric Drew

As a FireFighter EMT you are dead wrong.  IF we ignore a valid DNR chances are we lose our Lic for malpractice, we will be sued by the family and no our employer is not going to defend us.  When we roll up on a 911 call and we are presented with a DNR and the patient is not breathing or has no pulse, that's it, we verify that they have died and call for the coroner.  If they are still breathing but in diificulty we will give O2, we will transport but we will not take heroic measures.  If there is a DNR and a Durable Power of Attorney and you are unable to communicate and if  the named person [of the DPA] is in attendance we will ask that person what would you like us to do as they are legally speaking for the ill person, and we will follow their instructions.
----- Original Message -----
From: Susan
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] helmet thread

Additional information on DNR?s. If you have a DNR make sure you tell your family and neighbors NEVER to call 911 for you. Because once 911 is called they are honor bound to try and save your life even if it subsequently leaves you in a vegetative state. (even if you have the DNR in your hand)  So if you are willing to put that decision upon your family then trust in a DNR.

Susan