[RC] Epona shoes: grippy vs slippery?? - Mary Krauss

Yesterday I ordered Eponas for my flat and coon-footed (and beloved) gelding. The plan is to give pain relief to his feet so that he can be worked a bit as we continue the process of bringing his toes back. Hopefully with less pain and more work he can become a healthy riding horse instead of an overweight, eternally abscessing pasture potato.

After reading up on the shoes and recalling having seen a number of them used throughout this year's Tevis (along with equithotics, bares, glue-on Gloves, etc.), I decided I might as well shoe our two distance horses with the Eponas too. My mare in particular slams HARD into the ground with each step, has pretty upright pasterns, and could use some protection from concussion as she gets older. (Yes we are also doing arena work to get her to use her hind end better.)

I'm planning to use nails for the two sound horses but understand that glueing will help the lame guy who currently puts almost all of his weight on his soles and practically none on his walls. Sounds as though we should use a couple of nails as well as the glue.

Anyone out there have experience with these shoes? I'm particularly wondering about their grippiness compared to steel. My mare frequently slips on the rocky trails we most often ride. I've heard the Eponas are grippier except on grass so want to know if anyone has opinions about that and about whether they are really slipperier on grass and if so how much a problem this presents.

Thank you for feedback, general or specific!

Mary K.