[RC] Helmets and living our lives - Susan

"There are consequences for all, but let people live their lives."

I would that it be that easy!  Unfortunately, it just isn't so.  How many people have died because other people have "lived their lives" (second-hand smoke, speeding, texting while driving...)?  Insurance premiums are so high because others have "lived their lives".  Family and friends have been unnecessarily burdened and heart broken because others have "lived their lives".  The truth is, there are consequences for all.  We have to, or get to, suffer or benefit from the actions of others.

The flip side is MORE government control of our lives.  Personally, I'd rather deal with issues like this amongst friends rather than have the government, in their infinite "wisdom" deal with it for me.  I don't want AERC telling me to wear a helmet but I certainly hope they publish all the good reasons for doing so.  After that, we can each make up our own minds as to what is best for each of us.

I require helmets at my rides.  I am NOT AERC or "The Man" and it's my party.  The down side is some of my friends won't ride my rides because they will NOT wear a helmet (or maybe they will not be TOLD what to do).  But, on the other hand, if an accident happens and some nit wit decides to sue me, I'll at least be able to say, "I did all any prudent man could.  I required helmets."

Susan  Young, Ride Manager
Hotter Than Hell, Lake Oolagah, July 18
Indian Territory, October 3
Season Finale I & II, November 27 & 28
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)