RE: [RC] Racing to finish the National Championship 50 - April&Alamahn's Story - fhall

I am sure someone will jump right in and correct me if I am wrong (or they
perceive that I am anyway!), but I don't think she is saying she is perfect
and has never made a mistake.

My take on it is, she was saying, yeah, you made a stupid, insensitive (to
your horse) mistake, it's great you owned up to it, learn from it, get over
it. I think it was the syrupy outpouring of sympathy that might have been
sticking in Melody's craw.

I have made many mistakes in my 30 years with horses, one that haunts me
from my early 20's that I will probably never truly recover from. Did I get
tons of sympathy for it? Not really, not in the beginning anyway. Did I
deserve it? Not really, not in the beginning anyway. After I lost my girl
from it, the lesson had been driven home as much as it was ever going to be
and the sympathy started coming in a bit more.

Our horses trust and work for us way more than they probably should in a
lot of instances (albeit a lot of it is there own instincts at work also)
and it is our job and responsibility to look after their welfare before our
own. She got lucky this time and I am so happy for her that she did, because
I know what it is like to not be so lucky. Unfortunately, we don't always
get as much leeway as she did this time to be stupid with our equine
charges.

So, while like everyone else who was touched by her story (and I was) I
tend to lean towards Melody's opinion. My sympathies lie with the horse this
time. I do know that April has learned a valuable lesson from it all though,
and that should well be worth to her the invariable criticism she will
receive over the event. And yes, people will be watching for sometime, all
part of the parcel though.

Freda