Re: [RC] Ride holds - Joe Long

paul@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Again. Has any actual research been done to show that extra  holds of a
stated time are better for the horses?  If horses do indeed benefit from
these extra holds, shouldn't we have four or five holds or even more  in a
50?

It's easy to say that the holds are there to protect the horses.  When
you ask for actual evidence that it actually provides any protection,
they change the subject.

Vet checks are necessary, no argument there.  Hour-long holds?  Another
question entirely.
Somebody used the analogy of a baseball pitcher taking breaks between
innings. This is true. But what happens when there is an extended delay,
(like from rain) especially later in the game?  Does that pitcher come back
out after a 45 minute cooling off period, or do they have to bring in a new
pitcher? Why?  Because the muscles get too cool after that long of inactivity
and cramp up. Football has one long break in the middle and two other very
short breaks of a couple of  minutes. ( sounds like a one hold ride with two
gate and go checks:-)

Baseball and football are not close to being comparable with
long-distance endurance competition.  They are composed of lots of idle
time interspersed with short anaerobic bursts, not at all the same.  The
optimum approach to our sport is to keep a steady level of effort that
is aerobic.

The only value that I see, for the horse, to having a horse stop for a
fixed amount of time during an endurance ride is to allow him to eat.
And that is a factor only in rides well over 50 miles -- a 50 is at most
12 hours long.  Even in a 100 a single "food stop" would suffice, and it
doesn't have to be an hour.

Some riders need, or at least want, hour holds.  IMO fit horses don't.

-- Joe Long aka ChipRider
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx