[RC] AERC NC -- awesome! - Naomi Preston

I just watched the start of the 50 -- I believe 91 horses started.  They are in for a treat -- this is a first class ride, and Cassandra DiMaggio has set the bar high for National Championships!  I rode the 100, and I've never ridden on a better marked trail -- thanks to Dave Rabe for that!  There's nothing like having confidence about the trail during a ride.  The trail took us through beautiful woods, manzanita groves, high mountain roads with spectacular vistas of Lake Almanor. We rode on sacred Native American grounds, as described to us Thurs. night by a represenative from the tribe.  The managenent was superb, the volunteers everywhere.  Food and drink for riders at all the vet checks and check points.  Water for horses every 6-7 miles on the trail, which was very much appreciated in the hot weather we had Friday. In addition to the ride, there have been a variety of speakers, includeing Kathy Johnson Thiele, who told her story of growing up with the famous Bezatal (AERC Hall of Fame).  I had never heard her story, and it was an amazing one, bringing most of us to tears.  And last evening, we were treated to a presentation on stem cell therapy by Dr. Martin Vidal from UC Davis.

This ride, held on Sept 11, honors all our fallen heroes from that tragic day, as well as honoring our veterans.  It was humbling to ride on that special day.

Thank you Cassandra, Centella, and all your incredible volunteers!  You put on an incredible, first class event.

Naomi